Make the most of the lazy summer days with easy recipes that don’t require hours in the kitchen. This recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork reminds one of easy going dining out. According to our favourite food blogger, Ilse van der Merwe from the Food Fox, lazy cooks can substitute the home made sauce with a store bought option.
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) white vinegar
• 10-15 ml soy sauce
• 45 ml tomato sauce (I prefer All Gold)
• 20 ml corn flour, mixed with 125 ml cold water
Mix the sugar, vinegar, soy and tomato sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the cornflour/water mixture, then turn down to a simmer and stir until thickened – it will happen quite quickly. Remove from the heat and set aside. Serve warm or cold as a dipping sauce.
• 2 eggs
• 60 ml cake flour
• 60 ml corn flour
• a pinch of salt
• canola oil for deep-frying
• 250 g lean pork meat, trimmed and cubed (about 2 x 2 cm)
1. Mix the eggs, cake flour, corn flour and salt together to a sticky batter.
2. Heat the oil over medium high heat until it reaches around 180 oC.
3. Dip the cubes of pork into the batter and carefully drop into the hot oil, frying until golden on all sides. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve immediately with sweet & sour sauce.