This super speedy Hungarian classic is delicious winter comfort food. Serve with Excelsior Merlot.
Why is this the right wine choice? Merlot is a friend of everyday home-style dishes and pairs very well with beef dishes like this goulash.
To serve 8 you will need:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300g stir-fry beef strips or minute steak cut into strips
- 100g chestnut mushrooms , quartered
- 2 tsp paprika
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into smallish chunks
- 600ml hot beef stock (a cube is fine)
- 500g jar tomato -based cooking sauce
- handful of parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- natural bio yoghurt, to serve
What to do:
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the beef for 2 mins, stirring once halfway through. T
- Tip the meat onto a plate. Heat the remaining oil in the pan (no need to clean) and fry the mushrooms for 2-3 mins until they start to colour.
- Sprinkle the paprika over the mushrooms, fry briefly, then tip in potatoes, stock and tomato sauce. Give it all a good stir, cover and simmer for 20 mins until the potatoes are tender.
- Return the beef to the pan along with any juices, and warm through.
- Stir in the parsley and a swirl of yogurt, then serve straight from the pan.
Adapted from Good Food Magazine