Our recipe of the month from The Food Fox evokes images of far off, exotic locations. Try this coconut curry with a fragrant, buttery Chardonnay.
Dhal coconut curry with aubergine & spinach
Ingredients for the curry:
• 500 g organic red lentils
• 45 ml coconut oil
• 1 red onion, chopped
• 1 large aubergine, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• a 5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
• 15 ml mild curry powder
• 15 ml garam masala
• 10 ml ground coriander
• 10 ml ground turmeric
• 2 cans organic coconut milk
• salt to taste
• a small bunch of baby spinach
• a handful of cashew nuts, roughly chopped
• a handful of coriander, to serve (optional)
• cooked basmati rice, to serve
Rinse the lentils, then place them in a large pot and cover with water (about 5 cm above the lentils). Bring to a boil, then cook until just tender – about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain in a colander. Set aside. In a large wide pan or pot, heat the oil over high heat. Fry the onions and aubergines until golden brown, then add the garlic, ginger and spices.
Fry for another 2 minutes, stirring, then add the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes uncovered, then add the cooked lentils and stir to mix. Cook for a further 2 minutes, then season generously with salt (to taste).
Remove from the heat, then stir in the baby spinach and top with the cashews. Serve hot with basmati rice (and coriander leaves, optionally).
For the sambal:
• 2 large slices of organic pineapple, diced
• 250 g organic cherry/rosa tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 organic red onion, finely chopped
• a handful of organic coriander leaves, chopped
• a squeeze of organic lemon juice
• a small pinch of salt
Mix all the ingredients together, then serve at once with the curry.