We found a great recipe to pair with the Excelsior Agricola Sauvignon Blanc with its flavours of fynbos and lime. It may sound very simple, but sometimes simple is the new black. An understated dish of sardines on toast will go down a great, as the acidity of the wine complements the acidity of the tomatoes and the wine’s freshness will stand out beautifully against the umami of the sardines. This nostalgic recipe is from the Food Fox.
SARDINES AND TOMATO ON TOAST
Ingredients for roasted tomatoes:
- 1kg ripe tomatoes
- 45 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 15ml light brown sugar
Ingredients for sardines and tomatoes on toast:
- a few slices of good quality ciabatta or sourdough bread
- olive oil for brushing
- roasted tomatoes (see above)
- good quality canned sardines (one can will probably serve two people, so adjust quantities accordingly)
- a handful of roughly chopped parsley
- For the roasted tomatoes: Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C. Grease a baking tray with oil, then half the tomatoes and place cut-side up on the tray. Drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sugar, then roast for one hour at 160 degrees C.
- For the toast: brush one side of each slice of bread with oil, then toast in a griddle pan or toasted until golden brown. Remove and serve at once.
- To assemble: Place enough tomatoes on each slice of toast to cover the surface, then top with sardines and scatter with parsley. Season with extra salt flakes and pepper if desired, as well as an extra drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil.