Did we mention the double gold medal for our Viognier 2013?! So here’s a vibrant recipe to go with it. Serve with Excelsior Viognier.
Why is this the right wine choice? The highly aromatic and fruit forward nature of Viognier has an affinity for Asian style food.
To serve 5 you will need:
- 1 ready-roasted chicken
- 295g can mandarin segments in juice (not syrup it’s too sweet)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 fist-sized chunk red cabbage
- 100g toasted salted cashews
- 60g watercress, rocket & spinach salad
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp mandarin juice from the can
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
What to do:
- Remove the skin from the chicken and discard, then shred the meat from the bones. Discard the carcass (or freeze for stock or soup another time, see right).
- Drain the mandarin segments over a bowl to catch the juice, then whisk together with the sesame oil and vinegar.
- Layer the shredded chicken, mandarin segments, red onion, pepper, cabbage, salad leaves and sesame seeds in a big salad bowl or on a platter. Pour over the dressing, toss to combine then serve.
From BBC Good Food