This is a fresh, interesting chicken recipe for the braai. Serve with Excelsior Viognier.
Why is this the right wine choice? Viognier latches onto to ginger with enthusiasm and has an affinity for Asian style food.
To serve 4 you will need:
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 4 chicken legs
- 2 sticks lemon grass
- zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 green chilli, deseeded
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
What to do:
- Slash the chicken legs all over with a knife.
- Pick the coriander leaves and put them to one side. Add the stalks to a food processor with the rest of the ingredients and whiz to make a paste.
- Rub the paste into the slashes and all over the chicken legs.
- Place in a snug-fitting tin to marinate and light the braai. Place the roasting tin on the edge so the chicken starts to cook gently without starting to colour too much.
- When the legs are about half cooked, take them out of the tray and place them directly on the braai. Grill, turning now and then, until cooked through and crispy brown on the outside. Sprinkle the coriander leaves over to serve.
Adapted from Jamie Oliver