This a one-pot, super healthy crowd pleasing dinner. It’s ideal for a weekday dinner as you can make it a couple of days in advance. Serve with Excelsior Paddock Shiraz.
Why is this the right wine choice? Shiraz works well with intensely flavoured, slow-cooked casseroles which are brimming with flavour.
To serve 4 you will need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean diced lamb
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots , quartered lengthways and cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ras-el-hanout spice mix (a North African spice mix, contains cardamom, cinnamon, clove, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric and black pepper).
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 200g dried apricots
- 600ml chicken stock
- 120g pomegranate seeds
- 2 large handfuls fresh coriander , roughly chopped
What to do:
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Heat the oil in a casserole and brown the lamb on all sides.
- Scoop the lamb out onto a plate, then add the onion and carrots and cook for 2-3 mins until golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Stir in the spices and tomatoes, and season.
- Tip the lamb back in with the chickpeas and apricots. Pour over the stock, stir and bring to a simmer. Cover the dish and place in the oven for 1 hr.
- If the lamb is still a little tough, give it 20 mins more until tender.
- When ready, leave it to rest so it’s not piping hot, then serve scattered with pomegranate and herbs, with couscous or rice alongside.
Adapted from Good Food magazine