This is classic winter comfort food. Perfect with roast chicken or if you have vegetarian guests. Serve with Excelsior Merlot.
Why is this the right wine choice? Merlot is a friend of everyday home-style dishes. This recipe for Cauliflower cheese requires a fairly robust red wine – Shiraz would also work well.
To serve 6 you will need:
- 1 large cauliflower (leaves cut off), broken into pieces
- 500ml milk
- 4 tbsp flour
- 50g butter
- 100g strong cheddar , grated
What to do:
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then add the cauliflower and cook for 5 mins – lift out a piece to test, it should be cooked.
- Drain the cauliflower, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C/gas 7.
- Put the saucepan back on the heat and add the milk, flour and butter.
- Keep whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil – the flour will disappear and the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Whisk for 2 mins while the sauce bubbles and becomes nice and thick. Turn off the heat, stir in most of the cheese and pour over the cauliflower.
- Scatter over the remaining cheese.
Adapted from Good Food Magazine