This is not something that can be rushed but it is worth all the patient stirring! Serve with Excelsior Viognier.
Why is this the right wine choice? The muskiness of Viognier leads to a special affinity with mushrooms and is unbeatable with a mushroom risotto like this one.
To serve 4 you will need:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups flavorful mushrooms like shiitake, chanterelle, or oyster mushrooms. Cut them into half inch pieces
- 2/3 cup brandy or dry white wine
- 5-6 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup of peeled and minced shallots
- 1 3/4 cups risotto rice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
What to do:
1 Bring stock to a simmer.
2 In a separate deep, heavy saucepan, melt the butter and add mushrooms and shallots. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
3 Add the rice and stir to combine.
4 Add brandy/ white wine, bring to a boil, and reduce liquid by half, about 3-4 minutes.
5 Add simmering stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring enough to keep the rice from sticking to the edges of the pan. Stir the rice almost constantly.
6 Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup. This process will take about 25 minutes. The rice should be just cooked and slightly chewy.
7 Stir in the Parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chives.
Adapted from Simply Recipes