A classic recipe for a cosy night in. Serve with Excelsior Chardonnay.
Why is this the right wine choice? When lightly wooded (as Excelsior Chardonnay) Chardonnay can stand up to rich foods like pasta, poultry and fish in creamy sauces. It works particularly well with creamy dishes.
To serve 2 you will need:
- 250g spaghetti (fresh is delicious if you can get it)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped (or lardons)
- 2 free range eggs
- 142ml carton single cream
- 25g Parmesan (or hard cheese) , finely grated
- Boil a large pan of water and cook the pasta following the packet instructions. Meanwhile, heat a knob of butter in a small frying pan and cook the shallot, garlic and bacon for 5-7 minutes until golden. Make sure the garlic is properly cooked or it will detract from the wine. Beat together the eggs, cream, most of the Parmesan and plenty of ground black pepper.
- Drain the spaghetti and return to the pan, off the heat. Add the shallot and egg mixtures and toss together until the pasta is evenly coated. Divide between two bowls then scatter the rest of the Parmesan over, with a grinding of black pepper to serve.
Recipe adapted from Olive Magazine