This is a great family classic. Make it a day ahead if you have time as it tastes even better the next day – it also freezes very well as insurance against last minute guests! Serve with Excelsior Merlot.
Why is this the right wine choice? Merlot is a friend of everyday home-style dishes. It works particularly well with Moussaka and vibrant Mediterranean dishes.
To serve 6 you will need:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 750g minced lamb
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100ml white wine
- 400g tin plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 600ml milk
- bay leaf
- 4 black peppercorns
- 75g butter
- 75g flour
- 4 potatoes, peeled, boiled and sliced
- 2 eggs (free range if possible)
What to do:
- Fry the onion in a little oil until soft, then add the garlic. After a minute, add the mince and brown, breaking up any lumps.
- Add the cinnamon, wine and tomatoes, simmer for 30 minutes, bubble off any excess liquid and stir in the parsley.
- Meanwhile, brown the aubergines in a little oil on both sides then drain on kitchen paper.
- Bring the milk to a simmer with the bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Heat the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and gradually add the milk, stirring continually until you have a smooth sauce. Strain and season.
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Layer the cooked meat sauce and aubergine in an ovenproof dish, top with the potatoes and season.
- Whisk the eggs into the white sauce and spoon over. Bake for 30-40 minutes until brown.
Adapted from Olive Magazine