The signs of spring are all around but it hasn’t quite got here yet! This recipe for warming cottage pie is a great-value family favourite, freezes very well and is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Serve with Excelsior Merlot.
Why is this the right wine choice? Merlot is a friend of everyday home-style dishes and works well with beef.
To serve 10 you will need:
Beef Mince (1 1/4 Kg)
Onions (x2, finely chopped)
Carrots (x3, finely chopped)
Garlic (x2 cloves, finely chopped)
Plain flour (2 tbsp)
Tomato Puree (1 tbsp)
Beef Stock (850ml)
Thyme (to taste – a few springs)
Strong Cheddar (200g grated)
Nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
What to do:
- Gently fry the vegetables and garlic in a little oil until they are soft.
- Add the beef mince, turn up the heat a little and cook until it is brown.
- Add the tomatoe puree and a slug of merlot and simmer gently to reduce slightly.
- Add the beef stock, herbs, worcester sauce, season and continue to simmer uncovered to reduce (about 30 minutes) so that the ‘gravy’ is thick and covers the meat.
- Meanwhile make the mash by boiling the (peeled) potatoes until tender. Mash with butter and milk, 3/4 of the cheese and a dash of nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Spoon meat into 2 ovenproof dishes and top with the mashed potato.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese – either cook at 200C for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown or leave to cool completely, cover and freeze.
Adapted from BBC Good Food
We’d love to know what you think!