This is a sexy bistro-style supper, ideal for a Friday night at home or entertaining. Serve with Excelsior Cabernet Sauvignon.
Why is this the right wine choice? Cabernet Sauvignon goes very well with uncluttered food like this straight forward steak recipe – good quality ingredients, simply prepared. The rosemary with the chips will complement the Cabernet Sauvignon well but be careful to cook the garlic thoroughly to fuse it with the other ingredients or it risks being an obstacle to the taste buds!
To serve 4 you will need:
4 x rump steaks (about 250g) or lazy aged steak
For the chips:
10 potatoes, sliced
1 glug olive oil
2 tbsp sea salt, flakes
3 tbsp rosemary, fresh
1 pinch salt and milled pepper
For the mushroom sauce:
2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
250g sliced mushrooms
80 ml chicken stock
3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
What to do:
- Turn on the oven preheat at 220°C.
- Toss raw potato chips in olive oil on a baking tray. Bake until golden and crisp (25 mins).
- Grind rosemary, salt and pepper together in a pestle and mortar until fine, and sprinkle over chips.
- Heat a heavy-based pan until very hot. Rub steaks with olive oil, season and fry until cooked to your liking. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- Heat a little oil and fry garlic.
- Add mushrooms and stir-fry until just limp (you may need to add a teaspoon of stock).
- Pour in the rest of the stock and simmer to reduce. When almost no liquid remains, toss through parsley and season.
- Top steaks with mushrooms and serve with chips.
Adapted from Pick N Pay recipes.
We’d love to know what you think!